Skip to main content

The Basics: Digital Imaging- File Format types

File Formats

What format you use is dictated by your goal. Libraries have a tendency to want to have a small access copy of reasonable quality, and a high quality archival copy of reasonable file size.


To get a better idea of what the different formats are, and what they do, I've linked to some articles:


TIFF (Tagged Image File Format )
JPEG
JPEG2000
PDF

JPEG is the perfect format for full color or grayscale images because it provides a nice balance between quality and file size. The format is stable as long as you do not edit the file over and over. If you are going to be editing the file, save it as a Tiff first, then save it as a JPEG. JPEGs are perfect for access copies, and sometimes for Archival copies.

A full color or grayscale Tiff is huge as far as file size goes. A black and white Tiff, however, is generally smaller than a black and white JPEG. Don’t ask me why. Tiff also provides the best quality and stability. You can use Tiffs for archival storage if you have a lot of storage space and not a lot of items. However, if you are strapped for storage space and have lots of items, go for JPEG.

A PDF is a good delivery format becasue it is a format that can be vewied the same on different computers, and if there is OCRed text involved, it can contain that text and offer it to the patron in a format that is familyer.

Lossless vs. Lossy formats (Abriviation of Color)

The Reason why Jpegs and Tiffs are different is that Jpegs are generally lossy (they lose or truncate some data- making the file size and quality lower) and Tiffs can be either lossy or lossless (each pixel’s data is recorded- making the quality better and the file size much larger).

Why no other formats matter:

Other formats (Gif, Bitmap, etc.) often fall short of one of the two conditions (either they don’t have enough quality, or they require too much memory space for the quality that you get).

You may want to look into JPEG 2000, because the format supposedly takes the best parts of a JPEG (small file size for the quality) and Tiff (uncompressed information), and serves it up in one complete package. However, look into it before you use JPEG 2000 because it has not been fully accepted by the information community and it might not be widely well known to your users.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Workload Iceberg for Digital Collections and Initiatives

In the last few weeks, I was asked to write a small paragraph explaining my area to others in the library.  I was happy to do this, as many people say they don’t know what my people do.  It’s sometimes hard to explain to others what we do without going into overtly technical topics and terms.  If we have done our job right, we’re practically invisible, which is the way it should be.  Anyway, writing the description made me realize why there is often a mis-match between what we do and what people think we do.  I’ll let you read the description yourself.  I’ve underlined the important bit. “Digital Resources is primarily an Open Access publisher.  We publish both born digital items (produced by students or faculty), and we scan to publish or republish old items. We curate digital collections through the whole digital life-cycle. Our work is a bit different from other departments because the more work we finish; the more work we create in having to maintain the collections. We’re no

Bureau of Indian Affairs- Digital Collection

The Bureau of Indian Affairs is one of the oldest Bureaus in the United States.  It was established in 1824 by Secretary of War John C. Calhoun . While the history of the organization has been controversial, their records are open to the public.  This collection brings together letters distributed from the Bureau of Indian Affairs starting in 1832 and going on into 1966. View the rest of the collection:  http://bit.ly/2h0hKvW 

Documentation and Good Management in Digital Libraries

This month is all about self-evaluations for me and my employees.  Because of this, I have been thinking about how a manager is supposed to show their work and their worth. The easy answer is to say that if the employees are doing well, then the supervisor is good. It could be that the employees are doing well despite a bad supervisor. An employee doing badly is also not a sign of a bad supervisor. So what tangible thing can I say makes me a good or bad supervisor? Throughout the year, I try to focus on the actions I take to make my employees' lives at work better. I try to give them direction, advice, and help make things easier. I also try to champion them. Things do not always work but I adjust. When I sit down to write my own evaluation, though, I end up writing about documentation. To me, that is a concrete indicator of a good supervisor. They care enough about the work, and their employees, to write things down and make a record. I want to challenge everyone to write