Skip to main content

DSpace Repository- Counting Citations to the IR

In the last week, I've been looking at how to make our Institutional Repository better.  One of the best ways we can provide value to our users is to help them identify the impact of the value of their work in the IR.  Along that line, I wanted to know how we could find and count citations to works in the IR.  It would be great if we could say that things published in the IR get cited more.

I found this post in Stuart Lewis' Blog about displaying citation counts in DSpace from Scopus , and in the next few months we may try to implement this.  However, this wasn't exactly what I'm looking for.  This shows the number of citations based on the DOI.  What I want is if someone cites the URI from DSpace, I want to be able to find that and record that somehow.

I have not found an automatic way of doing it.  So far, what I've managed to do is do google searches for the first part of our handles, and the first part of our IR's URL.

So, our IR's URL is : https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/handle/2346/468
If I search for juts "ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/handle/2346/", I get a lot of results from Google from our actual DSpace instance. Not terribly useful.

If, instead, I look for the handles (Here is an example of a handle: http://hdl.handle.net/2346/67414)
Then I can look for  "http://hdl.handle.net/2346/" and instead I get some citations, like this one from a book in in Google Books.

This may be a little time consuming, but it's the only way I can manage to find this information without the authors individually telling me.

Anyone out there know a better way?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Microfilm and Microfiche scanners

I have been researching high speed microfiche and microfilm scanners for the last year. There are four major companies that produce microform scanners. Mekel (a Crowley Company), Wicks and Wilson , nextScan ,and Sunrise . They each have their advantages and disadvantages. Both nextScan and Sunrise have 3-in-1 or 2-in-1 models, where you have one machine (~$100,000) that comes with one attachment, and you buy other attachments for different types of microform (Microfilm, Microfiche, and Aperture card). Each attachment costs extra. I never figured out the cost for the attachments. nextScan also has a dedicated roll film scanner , that I’ve heard good reviews from the Newspaper Digitization Project in Australia . In general, I have heard that the 3-in-1 or 2-in-1 machines are fine, but they tend to go slower than dedicated machines. They really are built for versatility and marketed toward libraries who can only afford one machine that can do all types (Paying $100,000+ for one

Bureau of Indian Affairs- Digital Collection

The Bureau of Indian Affairs is one of the oldest Bureaus in the United States.  It was established in 1824 by Secretary of War John C. Calhoun . While the history of the organization has been controversial, their records are open to the public.  This collection brings together letters distributed from the Bureau of Indian Affairs starting in 1832 and going on into 1966. View the rest of the collection:  http://bit.ly/2h0hKvW 

Documentation and Good Management in Digital Libraries

This month is all about self-evaluations for me and my employees.  Because of this, I have been thinking about how a manager is supposed to show their work and their worth. The easy answer is to say that if the employees are doing well, then the supervisor is good. It could be that the employees are doing well despite a bad supervisor. An employee doing badly is also not a sign of a bad supervisor. So what tangible thing can I say makes me a good or bad supervisor? Throughout the year, I try to focus on the actions I take to make my employees' lives at work better. I try to give them direction, advice, and help make things easier. I also try to champion them. Things do not always work but I adjust. When I sit down to write my own evaluation, though, I end up writing about documentation. To me, that is a concrete indicator of a good supervisor. They care enough about the work, and their employees, to write things down and make a record. I want to challenge everyone to write