Skip to main content

Microfilm and Microfiche scanners

I have been researching high speed microfiche and microfilm scanners for the last year. There are four major companies that produce microform scanners. Mekel (a Crowley Company), Wicks and Wilson, nextScan ,and Sunrise . They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Both nextScan and Sunrise have 3-in-1 or 2-in-1 models, where you have one machine (~$100,000) that comes with one attachment, and you buy other attachments for different types of microform (Microfilm, Microfiche, and Aperture card). Each attachment costs extra. I never figured out the cost for the attachments. nextScan also has a dedicated roll film scanner, that I’ve heard good reviews from the Newspaper Digitization Project in Australia.

In general, I have heard that the 3-in-1 or 2-in-1 machines are fine, but they tend to go slower than dedicated machines. They really are built for versatility and marketed toward libraries who can only afford one machine that can do all types (Paying $100,000+ for one machine that can do 3 formats might be a better buy than buying three machines at $60-80,000 each- is the idea).

For dedicated Microfiche machines, take a look at the Mekel and Wicks and Wilson models. Both go for anywhere between $60,000 and $80,000, depending on the model (both companies have models of varying speed and quality- such as the Mekel Mach IV). The Mekel Mach VII (A microfiche scanner) is looking to be a very fast machine that has a lot of good options. I haven’t seen a Wicks and Wilson model in action, but I was very impressed when I saw the Mekel Mach VII model work in person.

For a slow option take a look at the ScanPro 1000. I have seen this one in a close up demo, and although it goes slow, it does scan roll film by itself. It can view and scan microfiche and micro opaque cards, but it will not do it automatically. It is good for public use, and I have heard of a few places using it for digitization projects, but not many. Expect to spend about $6,000-$9,000 on this scanner depending on the options you buy with it (The automatic film scanning attachment is extra).

Comments

Joy, great post.

We run the Sunrise, Wicks & Wilson and nextScan film scanners in our conversion center. They all do an adequate job, but we have found the Sunrise scanners to be the best for a variety of reasons:

- The image quality is superior and there are more post-processing options for cleaning up the images after the scan is complete
- There are a number of options for having the machine serviced (unlike the nextScan which is very hard to get help with)
- For a high-production environment the Sunrise is the way to go for a 3-in-1 solution (microfilm, microfiche and aperture cards).

However, if you are just running roll microfilm 16MM or 35MM the speed and quality from the nextScan is the best.

An alternative option to purchasing a microform scanner would be to use a service company like Digital Film Solutions. We have invested in the technology, have the expertise and can convert microform records for very competitive rates, typically much less than the cost of purchasing the equipment and trying to do it in-house (as low as $.009 per image for roll film and $.03 per image for microfiche).

All the best!

Josh Nelson
Digital Film Solutions
www.digitalfilmsolutions.com
866-609-4337
Joy said…
Thank you for the added information Josh.
Joy said…
I actualy managed to miss a company. S-T Imagining
http://www.stimaging.com/ST200X/

It's a 2in1 or 3in1 model for about $95,000 or less.
St said…
Thanks for sharing the information about Scanners. You can share more information about. Microfilm Scanners

Popular posts from this blog

The Workload Iceberg for Digital Collections and Initiatives

In the last few weeks, I was asked to write a small paragraph explaining my area to others in the library.  I was happy to do this, as many people say they don’t know what my people do.  It’s sometimes hard to explain to others what we do without going into overtly technical topics and terms.  If we have done our job right, we’re practically invisible, which is the way it should be.  Anyway, writing the description made me realize why there is often a mis-match between what we do and what people think we do.  I’ll let you read the description yourself.  I’ve underlined the important bit. “Digital Resources is primarily an Open Access publisher.  We publish both born digital items (produced by students or faculty), and we scan to publish or republish old items. We curate digital collections through the whole digital life-cycle. Our work is a bit different from other departments because the more work we finish; the more work we create in having to maintain the collections. We’re no

Bureau of Indian Affairs- Digital Collection

The Bureau of Indian Affairs is one of the oldest Bureaus in the United States.  It was established in 1824 by Secretary of War John C. Calhoun . While the history of the organization has been controversial, their records are open to the public.  This collection brings together letters distributed from the Bureau of Indian Affairs starting in 1832 and going on into 1966. View the rest of the collection:  http://bit.ly/2h0hKvW 

Documentation and Good Management in Digital Libraries

This month is all about self-evaluations for me and my employees.  Because of this, I have been thinking about how a manager is supposed to show their work and their worth. The easy answer is to say that if the employees are doing well, then the supervisor is good. It could be that the employees are doing well despite a bad supervisor. An employee doing badly is also not a sign of a bad supervisor. So what tangible thing can I say makes me a good or bad supervisor? Throughout the year, I try to focus on the actions I take to make my employees' lives at work better. I try to give them direction, advice, and help make things easier. I also try to champion them. Things do not always work but I adjust. When I sit down to write my own evaluation, though, I end up writing about documentation. To me, that is a concrete indicator of a good supervisor. They care enough about the work, and their employees, to write things down and make a record. I want to challenge everyone to write