Skip to main content

Quick update on new Atiz scanner

So, the assembly was quick. Me and two other people got the whole thing set up in an hour and a half. The instructions were a bit vague at times, but the parts fit together in a logical way. One thing that did bother me was that the set up did not come with the AC adapters for the cameras to plug into the wall instead of running on batteries. I contacted the sales rep and she said the AC adapters were extra, and I could have included them in the order- although I never was told that I needed to. At any rate, they end up being $80 a piece and so we’re just going to buy them.

The big point is I got the cameras to work today after about 30 minutes of fiddling with things. It turns out the USB extensions that were sent with the equipment have too wide of a plug to fit into the camera properly. However, the cameras came with USB plugs that worked perfectly (although they are a bit shorter than the extensions).


So, the assembly was quick. Me and two other people got the whole thing set up in an hour and a half. The instructions were a bit vague at times, but the parts fit together in a logical way. One thing that did bother me was that the set up did not come with the AC adapters for the cameras to plug into the wall instead of running on batteries. I contacted the sales rep and she said the AC adapters were extra, and I could have included them in the order- although I never was told that I needed to. At any rate, they end up being $80 a piece and so we’re just going to buy them somewhere else. Here is a link to the adapters I needed for the Rebel cameras I got, AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC20 Price: $56.43 X 2 =$112.86

I got the cameras to work today after about 30 minutes of fiddling with things. The USB extensions that were sent with the equipment have too wide of a plug to fit into the camera properly. However, the cameras came with USB plugs that worked perfectly (although they are a bit shorter than the extensions). I will either contact the sale rep about this, or just cut some of the plastic off of the edges of the connector.


Once I got the cameras working, the machine worked wonderfully and I was pleased with the quality of the images. The software not only just takes pictures, but allows you to set the machine to take pictures automatically with a delay in seconds that you can set. It also gives you feedback on how fast your going in pages scanned an hour. Just for practice, I scanned the manual and was surprised at how easy it was to turn the pages and let the machine take a picture. The glass plate rises easily, and I was able to get my hand under and turn the pages very quickly.
I have not yet gotten around to using the BookDrive Editor, and I don’t know if their PDF maker also OCRs, but I should be able to find that out tomorrow.


So far, I’m impressed at the smart design of the product and I can’t wait to get it into a production mode.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentation and Good Management in Digital Libraries

This month is all about self-evaluations for me and my employees.  Because of this, I have been thinking about how a manager is supposed to show their work and their worth. The easy answer is to say that if the employees are doing well, then the supervisor is good. It could be that the employees are doing well despite a bad supervisor. An employee doing badly is also not a sign of a bad supervisor. So what tangible thing can I say makes me a good or bad supervisor? Throughout the year, I try to focus on the actions I take to make my employees' lives at work better. I try to give them direction, advice, and help make things easier. I also try to champion them. Things do not always work but I adjust. When I sit down to write my own evaluation, though, I end up writing about documentation. To me, that is a concrete indicator of a good supervisor. They care enough about the work, and their employees, to write things down and make a record. I want to challenge everyone to write

The Workload Iceberg for Digital Collections and Initiatives

In the last few weeks, I was asked to write a small paragraph explaining my area to others in the library.  I was happy to do this, as many people say they don’t know what my people do.  It’s sometimes hard to explain to others what we do without going into overtly technical topics and terms.  If we have done our job right, we’re practically invisible, which is the way it should be.  Anyway, writing the description made me realize why there is often a mis-match between what we do and what people think we do.  I’ll let you read the description yourself.  I’ve underlined the important bit. “Digital Resources is primarily an Open Access publisher.  We publish both born digital items (produced by students or faculty), and we scan to publish or republish old items. We curate digital collections through the whole digital life-cycle. Our work is a bit different from other departments because the more work we finish; the more work we create in having to maintain the collections. We’re no

HathiTrust and Local Digital Stewardship

An article I had been working on for a bit with Heidi Winkler finally got published in the second volume of the International Journal of Librarianship in a special issue on Data Librarianship . Abstract This article reviews the influence that massive digital libraries like the HathiTrust Digital Library can have on local, smaller institutions’ digitization, preservation, and curation programs. The history of HathiTrust’s digital preservation efforts as a Trusted Repository is reviewed. A case study is presented showing how one academic library made difficult digital stewardship decisions in a modern world of globally federated preservation initiatives. The authors introduce the concept of deselection as part of the digital curation process and discuss how digital collection administrators can refine their local digital preservation efforts to better reflect the realities of constrained human and financial resources. Read more...